How do people travel around the world if they're not rich? Can people get a part time job with a travel


How do people travel around the world if they're not rich? Can people get a part time job with a travel
Hi, My name is Malik Kamran and I'm a travel-holic...

Ok, the short answer is you don't have to be a millionaire to travel the world. This is something I wish I figured out much earlier in life than I did. 

Firstly, lets address the term 'rich' a cliché definition, but a good one, is; "If you lost your income today, how long would you be able to maintain your current lifestyle before you run out of money?" Also, living a 'rich' life is a very different thing from having lots of money. 

Firstly, if you are thinking of travelling for a long time, and you are concerned about money...    there are a number of options that are going to be available to you. In no particular order here's a few things to take into account:

- Your beginning bank balance
- Opportunities for income while travelling
- Cheap longer term accommodation overseas
- Where you travel (some places are extremely cheap)
- What you own / take with you
- What you own at home
- What your overhead expenses are at home
- What your priorities are when travelling

Sometimes stories are a great way to learn through other people's experiences, so I'll share my story for the benefit of anyone reading this. I'm a 30yo Aussie, and it's been two years since I left home. I'm currently living in Canada on a working holiday visa. Let's go back to my old life, I had a two well paying jobs and had been working every spare minute of my time trying to get a business off the ground (software). I lived in a small but comfortable apartment in one of the best suburbs in town, had a good condition secondhand car and was comfortable. I was making plenty of money and could afford to get anything within reason, flatscreen TV, sports gear, toys, gaming consoles, etc...  

But then one day I realised that I was working 80+ hours per week in total, and I wasn't doing any of the things that I wanted to do. I was about to turn 28 and had never lived overseas or travelled much. So one day I decided that I was going to travel no matter what, but at the time I was still in debt, and I had heaps of junk that I didn't want to store. So for about 5 months I worked every second of the day, sold everything I had and gave everything else away to charity. I whittled my life down to what would fit in a suitcase, got some savings in my bank account and applied for a UK working holiday VISA. 

One of the main things that I wanted was to not have ANY expenses at home, no car registration, no anything, so I got rid of it all. The only thing I own in Australia is a small cardboard box with some photo albums in it that I keep in a cupboard at my parents house. Because I took the option of getting a working holiday visa (this may not be available to everyone), I was able to find work in London as a teaching assistant, and I also work as a freelance photographer. This meant that I could save and save, stay in longer term accommodation and then book flights to go places in the school holidays and long weekends. In the past two years I've been to:

- Iceland
- Ireland
- France (x4)
- Italy (x2)
- Denmark
- Sweden
- Turkey
- Spain
- Germany
- Switzerland 
- UK (extensive travel around, England, Scotland and Whales)
- Brunei
- Singapore
- Thailand

One of the things that surprised me the most, like when you have one of those 'Ah, Ha!' moments was when I was in the UK and I wanted to move house, but everything I owned fit in a suitcase. So where it once cost me $400 and took two days to move in Australia, it cost me £25 for a taxi and about 2 hours in the UK, turns out some things are much cheaper when you are travelling than when you are at home. 

I'm really glad I got rid of everything in Australia as well because now that I have nothing tying me down I was able to just pick up another working holiday visa and move to Canada. And after here I'm hoping to continue on travelling. I've been doing some research and have a few friends that have travelled all around the world and I'm confident that I'll be able to travel for a good while on a small budget. 

Depending on where you are from, it could even be cheaper to travel than to stay at home. If I were to live in a nice apartment in the city in Australia, eat out, and catch go watch the occasional movie, it would probably cost me about $35,000 a year. But it I were to live the same lifestyle in say Thailand or China I might be able to get by on $15,000 a year or if I am prepared to go for a more rural or exotic experience, even less than that again. 


Ярлыки:

Post a Comment

[blogger]

Author Name

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.